Having any type of plastic surgery procedure done is not something that anyone should do on a whim, and there are a good number of things that everyone considering plastic surgery needs to learn about the particular procedure they are thinking about having. It is a good idea to make up a list of questions before you see your surgeon, so you are ready when you get there, and you don’t forget to ask about anything. To make things easier, you may want to break down your questions into a few different categories.
Category 1: Who Is Your Surgeon?
The first questions you will want to ask will be about the surgeon and his or her qualifications. With any type of surgery there are going to be risks involved, and you need to know that you are in good hands during your operation and that your surgeon will be there for you after the surgery if there are any complications. Here are some of the questions you should ask breast implant doctors during your initial consultations:
- Where did you attend university/medical school?
- How many surgeries of this type of this type have you performed?
- Do you specialize in any certain procedures?
- What is your success rate?
- Can I see before and after photos?
- Are there former patients I can talk to?
- To see whether a doctor is certified by an ABPS board, log onto https://www.abplsurg.org/ModDefault.aspx?section=PubFind
Category 2: The Procedure Itself
At CGC Cosmetic Surgery there is a wide spectrum of aesthetic procedures, including non-invasive, minimally invasive, moderately invasive, and full surgical treatments.
Once you have learned everything you need to know about your surgeon, the next thing you will need to do is to ask many questions about the procedure you are considering having done. There are many things you will need to ask, including:
- What is involved with this type of operation?
- How long will the surgery take to perform?
- Do you have any reading material I can have to learn more about this procedure, or are there articles or books you can recommend?
- Should I be having this type of procedure done?
- Will there be a lot of pain after the operation?
- What are the complications involved with this type of plastic surgery?
- Do I need anesthesia, and if so, what type of anesthesia do you use?
- Is this procedure done in the office, or will I have to visit a hospital or clinic?
- How long will I be hospitalized?
- How much is everything going to cost?
Category 3: After Your Operation
You will also need to learn about what is involved in your care following your plastic surgery. Depending on the type of procedure you are having done, there may be different things you will have to do to ensure that the operation is a complete success. Here are some questions to ask about post-operative care:
- How long before I can resume my regular activities?
- Do I need any special ointments or creams?
- How often should I change the dressing?
- When will I see the results?
- Will you prescribe medication for pain, and if so, what do you usually prescribe?
- Do I need to avoid any heavy lifting, and if so, for how long?
Of course, this is just a sample of the questions that everyone should ask before undergoing any type of surgical procedure, including plastic surgery. You may have many other questions to include in this list. Remember, the more you learn now, the easier it is going to be to make your decision and to take care of yourself after your surgery.